Jay is RSM Law's criminal law specialist with additional family law and civil law expertise. He moved to New Zealand from Australia in 2007, prior to which he worked in general Sydney based firms with a commercial and property law focus.
Jay has listed Lead Provider status with the Ministry of Justice to take on legal aid work in the following areas:
Jay has been involved in some large scale criminal cases including a murder trial ("Roper"/propensity evidence), Kidnapping ("Krouse", automatism), Sexual offending, Traffic matters, Assaults, Blackmail ("R v Clutterbuck"- Court of Appeal, competence of counsel), Dishonesty offending and Parole.
- Criminal Law (Level 2 - Parole work)
- Family Law (Level 3)
- Civil Litigation (Level 3)
- Employment Law (Level 3)
- Mental Health (Level 3)
- Duty Solicitor
As well as criminal work, Jay has been involved in Family Court work including:
Jay has also had experience in employment law, civil litigations matters, and is a Mental Health Advocate. Jay is a regular contributor to the media on updates to the law and is involved with the West End Soccer Club both professionally and as a senior player. He also plays squash at the Timaru Squash Club as a pennants player.
- Relocation Applications - Care of Children Act and contact Applications.
- Child Youth and Family Services Applications and Access Orders for children who are in need of care and protection.
- Relationship Property.
- Domestic Violence Applications and Protection Orders
- Family Protection Act Claims.
He moved to South Canterbury from Dunedin but will, and has, accepted instructions from as far away as Waimate, Kurow, Ashburton, Dunedin, Fairlie and Oamaru.
Contact Jay Lovely